How was the busy day on October 17 for the crew of the Soyuz MS-18 in the questions and answers given by the experts on the air of Radio KP
- What is this special diet for the crews before returning to Earth ? Astronauts say that during the descent from orbit, they are very thirsty …
Andrey Borisenko, pilot-cosmonaut, Hero of Russia:
- The astronauts are prescribed the so-called salt supplements a few days before the descent . They allow you to retain water inside the body. This is important for the normal well-being and functioning of the body.
- Because there is nowhere to go to the toilet during the descent?
- No. The fact is that in conditions of weightlessness, the body intensively gives off liquid.
On Earth, this would be called a lack of fluid in the body. In order to bring the body into the desired condition from this point of view, it is necessary that there is more fluid. How to do it? If the astronaut simply starts drinking more, the liquid will immediately come out of him in a natural way. In order to delay this liquid a little, salt additives are used.
And to drink – yes – I want to. Especially after landing.
- The utility compartment of the Soyuz spacecraft is mostly free during the launch. And during landing, it is packed with loads that need to be burned when the utility compartment separates and burns up in the dense layers of the atmosphere. That is, in principle, the crew does not have any additional free space during the descent. For 3.5 hours, do they sit tightly shoulder to shoulder?
- Cosmonauts sit in the spacecraft for at least 3.5 hours during the launch. Before going into the utility compartment, when the spacecraft has already entered orbit, it is necessary to carry out a series of tests with the spacecraft onboard systems, to check the spacecraft tightness.
“On Earth, putting on spacesuits is a whole procedure. And who helps space people put on spacesuits in zero gravity?
- Astronauts must put on their spacesuits on their own. You can help each other. But in the event of some abnormal situation – depressurization of a ship or station, if a person is without a spacesuit – he must be able to put it on on his own. Therefore, we go through such training.